Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday, October 30th

Rain all night!  
Lovely wet cobblestones on Rue Cler, dripping, colorful trees, people with umbrellas, walking and eating warm croissant.

After another delicious breakfast, we depart for the flea market at Vanves (described as smaller, friendlier and more organized than the massive market at St. Ouen) with excited expectations.  Last year, we missed the flea markets altogether due to a misunderstanding about the days and times of operation, so this time, we head out with determination and pockets full of Euros.

There are many vendors under colorful tents offering a wide assortment of wares.  
As described, most of the vendors speak at least a little English and I stumble through some remedial negotiations with happy outcomes.  

I have been to many flea markets and swap meets in the past 30 years, and I can honestly say that this was one of the best experiences I've had.  Items were really, truly vintage and antique....not piles of schlocky junk from someone’s mold-infested basement.

I am still skittish about really jumping in with both feet due to the hassle of figuring out how to ship larger items back to the states (the prevailing rumor is that the French post offices are notorious for theft).  With this in mind, of course, I immediately spot many things I believe I cannot possibly live without:  an antique dress form, vintage beveled mirrors, small tables, a chandelier from the 1920s and bolts of vintage fabrics, all begging me to take them home.


I pull myself together and make do with smaller items that will fit into the extra duffle bag I will use as a carry-on.  The rain holds off as we peruse the stalls, then suddenly, the vendors decide en masse that they are bored with the whole thing and begin packing up at 2:00 (rather than at the advertised 5:00 p.m. closing time).  We hurry to make sure we have seen it all, but of course, we would have needed an entire day to do so.




We enjoy a baguette chicken sandwich and an amazing apple croissant before heading back on the Metro.  Once again, I am struck by the low sugar/salt content in the food, and yet it is more delicious than anything I can think of in America!

Since it is still early, we stroll down to the Eiffel Tower on wet streets, enjoying the walk.  


We make note of the fact that the dogs and children all seem very well-behaved and polite.

We have had fun shopping the local grocery stores for items we don’t see at home and settle on Pim’s pear cookies and hot tea for a light snack/supper.  Delightful day!




No comments: