Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wednesday, October 27th ~ Thursday, October 28th



Filled with gregarious enthusiasm after last year’s trip to Europe, I immediately began planning this year’s return visit to Paris.   I dreamed about it, I told lots of people about it, I read travel books and watched French movies with English subtitles.



I felt much more prepared this year, and was very proud of myself for refusing to make the same naïve mistakes twice.  The leg and foot swelling debacle of last year’s trip was of paramount importance in my mind since it made walking and sight-seeing so dreadfully uncomfortable.  
After conducting some cursory online research and quizzing friends who travel frequently, it became clear that compression socks were a “must”, as was better hydration and thus, more frequent forays to the lavatory.  

I paid a visit to our local pharmacy which deals with medical supplies and learned that I could be specially fitted for high-performance compression stockings that would either end at the knee or go all the way up to the waist.  These stockings were designed to be worn post-surgery and were costly: $80 to $200 for the top-of-the-line Kung Fu Grip compression.  First of all, I balked at the notion of being “fitted” for these things back in the private room, and secondly, the cost was an unhappy surprise.  The lady who was explaining my options and watching my expression turn sour finally said, 
“Why don’t you just get some Travel Socks, dear?”
Well, okay!  Where are those?  Up to the front of the pharmacy we go to an actual “travel” display, complete with Dramamine, Imodium, ear plugs and the glorious Travel Socks.  These were knee-high white socks, priced at $25 which seemed like a bargain after seeing what was available back in the private compression stocking fitting room.

What a great purchase these were!  Yes, they were tight (as I was nearly breaking a sweat while pulling these on before our flight, I was put in mind of those little devices that help you squeeze the last of the toothpaste up and out of the tube)

 and yes they worked far better than I imagined.  
When we landed in Paris after our 9.5 hour flight, my legs and feet were energized and I felt great!

Here is a link to a well-written article about making long flights more comfortable:

Speaking of our flight, allow me to now extol the virtues of Air France. 

Last year we flew on British Air and were treated to surly, disdainful service, cramped seating with malfunctioning air conditioning and questionable, tasteless food.   By comparison, Air France was something of a flying palace.  


 The flight was not full, so my sister and I were each able to have short rows of seats to ourselves where we could stretch out and practically lounge our way to France.  The crew was calm and gracious, the passengers were quiet and pleasant and I marveled at the difference in food quality.  We were served two meals of exceptional taste, low sodium and obviously fresh ingredients (it occurred to me that perhaps the AMA and the FDA are in fiendish cahoots to keep Americans hypertensive and overweight). 



Fresh rolls and real butter were offered by a smiling flight attendant.  When we landed, we found the Paris airport to be spotlessly clean, quiet and orderly.  Our checked baggage arrived promptly and without drama.  We walked a short distance and were greeted by a smiling cab driver who acted as though he had been waiting for us all along, helped us with our bags and drove us pleasantly into the city.


A perfect beginning to our journey!

We stayed at the same place as last year, the Grand Hotel Leveque which is a little gem on Rue Cler near the Eiffel Tower.  
 Interestingly, we are booked into the same room as last year, and it all feels pleasantly familiar and like a home-away-from-home…..almost as though no time has passed since our last visit.

Very few issues with jet lag.  I slipped right into Paris time quite naturally, pleased with how easily our journey has begun!

No comments: