Monday, October 26, 2009

The Journey Begins!




A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike.
And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless.
We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip;
a trip takes us.

~John Steinbeck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a homebody by nature, and most definitely an introvert, so I really haven't traveled much in my lifetime.  My first trip on an airplane was in 1969 when I was 8 years old.  I flew to Dallas, Texas to visit my Grandparents, and I remember it as being a fun (although hot and exhausting, since it was in the dead heat of August) adventure, but I was definitely happier to come back home.

This year, my brother-in-law generously gifted me and my sister with a trip to London and Paris for my sister's birthday.  At first, I wasn't sure that I wanted to brave international situations and be away from home for that length of time, but slowly, that wonderful voice in my head and heart told me that it was time for me to expand my horizons and see these beautiful places.

I decided to keep a journal during our trip, because I know that memories (even really good ones) tend to fade with time, and I wanted to be in touch with this experience for the rest of my life.

What a magnificent experience it turned out to be!
We laughed, we cried, we ate remarkable food and saw fantastic things.  My dreams were quite vivid both in London and Paris, and in Paris, especially, I felt as though I had walked upon those streets, prayed in the cathedrals, laughed over tea in the corner cafes and connected with the people long before this time.  I truly felt at home and as though the doorway was now open for me to experience it all again whenever I chose.

Thank you for sharing in my lovely adventure!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Susette!

How wonderful to see this blog come to life...it truly is delightful. Thank you for sharing!

Best,
rachel

Susette said...

Thank you for sharing in the fun, Rachel!

With Love and Light,
Susette